Making the change from working outside your home to working from home can be a wonderful, but challenging change. It can be very easy to be distracted by things you could be doing since you are at home. Whether it is finishing a craft project, putting in a load of laundry, or running an errand, your time you have set aside for working your business can easily slip away. Here are a few tips to help keep you focused:
• Have a dedicated place to work. No matter if it is a small table set up in your bedroom, or an unused room in your home you have set up as an office – dedicate it to your home business.
• Determine the amount of time you want to dedicate to your business and what days of the week you will be working and schedule into your other responsibilities. Make it a habit.
• If you find the television or radio distracting, turn them off. Don’t let things interfere with the time you have set aside to work at home. If you need to let your calls go to voice mail, shut down your email program, do it. You can always check them when you are done with your “office hours.”
• If you have young children, one idea to keep them busy when you are working from home, is to keep a basket of toys, DVDs, books or whatever your children like that only comes out for play while you are working your business. Rotate the items in and out to keep the fun fresh.
• When you work at home, you can feel like you are always on duty. Make sure at the end of your set time that you can put away your work and spend your time doing other things you need to do, pampering yourself a bit, and spending time with your loved ones.
In a short time, working from home will become a scheduled routine, and one you will come to love!